Offshore Field Development Projects
Peregrino Peregrino
Operator:Statoil
Water Depth:120 m / 396 ft
Region:S. America - Brazil
Country:Brazil
Last Updated:Nov 15, 2012    (view update history)
Project Description
Fifty-three miles (Eighty-five kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin area lays the Peregrino field, situated in 328 feet (100 meters) of water. The field is located on the BM-C-7 block, which is operated by Statoil, holding a 60% interest. Sinochem Group holds the remaining 40%.

Statoil purchased 50% of the BM-C-7 block in 2007 with Anadarko. At the time of acquiring the license, the field's recovery factor was estimated to be 9%. However, the current reservoir depletion plan of the field calls for the use of produced water injection and rock compaction, which is increasing Peregrino's recovery factor to 20%. This new recovery method doubled the estimated recoverable reserves. Now, the shallow water field has estimated recoverable reserves of 300 to 600 ...
Fifty-three miles (Eighty-five kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin area lays the Peregrino field, situated in 328 feet (100 meters) of water. The field is located on the BM-C-7 block, which is operated by Statoil, holding a 60% interest. Sinochem Group holds the remaining 40%.

Statoil purchased 50% of the BM-C-7 block in 2007 with Anadarko. At the time of acquiring the license, the field's recovery factor was estimated to be 9%. However, the current reservoir depletion plan of the field calls for the use of produced water injection and rock compaction, which is increasing Peregrino's recovery factor to 20%. This new recovery method doubled the estimated recoverable reserves. Now, the shallow water field has estimated recoverable reserves of 300 to 600 million barrels of oil-in-place.

Field Development

Peregrino's Plan of Development received governmental approval in June 2007, and the plan calls for the field to be developed in three phases and include roughly 60 wells. The first phase of development consists of 30 horizontal production wells and seven water injection wells tied to two wellhead platforms with self contained drilling units connected to a the Maersk Peregrino FPSO. The platforms are tied-back to the FPSO by two production flowlines, one water injection flowline and two power umbilicals.

The Peregrino FPSO has a minimum initial production capacity of 100,000 bopd, and 7.5 MMcf/d (.22 MMcm/d). The oil from the wells flow from the platforms to the FPSO for processing, and produced water is pumped from the FPSO to the platforms for re-injection. The oil is exported by offshore loading to shuttle tankers; produced gas is used for fuel consumption on the FPSO.

Once the Peregrino field development plan was mapped, the project commenced in February 2007 when South Atlantic Holding and Maersk signed an agreement to perform a FEED study for the project. Shortly after the FEED, a contract was awarded to Maersk Contractors for the provision of the FPSO and for 15 years of operation of the FPSO. Another contract was awarded to Kiewit Offshore Services Ltd. for the supply of two drilling platforms for the Peregrino field.

Subsea 7 received a contract for the engineering, procurement, construction and installation of the pipelines connecting the two platforms to the FPSO. In 2008, BW Offshore was awarded a letter of intent with Maersk Contractors for the installation of the submerged turret production and mooring system for the Peregrino FPSO. Additionally, J. Ray McDermott will provide the engineering, procurement and construction of 6,500 metric tons of topside modules for the FPSO vessel.

On June 3, 2009, FMC Technologies received a $30 million contract for the manufacture and installation of surface wellheads and surface production trees for the first phase of development of the project.

The first phase of the field's development commenced production on April 11, 2011.

Phases II and III

Information has not been posted on the remaining two development phases. As information is received, SubseaIQ will update this project description.
Activities
Status Updates
Statoil Boosts Peregrino Recovery
Type: Operator Update

Nov. 2012 - Statoil is well known for its use of multilateral well technology and has used it extensively on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. The company has now taken its expertise to the Peregrino field in block BM-C-7 offshore Brazil. Peregrino was regarded as an oil field with large potential for increased recovery based on already low recovery rates and in-place volumes of nearly 2.3 billion barrels. By using horizontal wells drilled with geosteering technology to optimize placement, water injection and flow assurance measures, the estimated recoverable resources have been increased to the range of 300 to 600 million barrels of oil. To date, the company has drilled 15 production wells of this type at Peregrino and has doubled the expected recovery rate.

Statoil Wins at Peregrino South
Type: Appraisal Operations

Oct. 2012 - Statoil, together with partner Sinochem, has completed drilling an appraisal well at the Peregrino South prospect offshore Brazil. Well 3-STAT-8-RJS intersected approximately 278 feet of high-quality oil-saturated sandstone reservoir in the Carapebus formation. Goals of the operation were to validate previous volume estimates and establish an optimal development plan. The joint venture will use the positive results from the appraisal to guide the Peregrino Phase II development.

Statoil Selects RDA for Peregrino FEED Work
Type: Status Update

Aug. 2012 - Statoil has selected RDS to perform the Front End Engineering Design (FEED) for a fixed drilling rig, which will be part of the Peregrino phase II project. Peregrino commenced production in March 2011 and produces about 75,000 bopd.

Peregrino Field to Hit Plateau in Coming Weeks
Type: Status Update

Jul. 2012 - Statoil expects for its Peregrino oil field to reach a plateau production of about 100,000 barrels a day by mid-August as two new wells start output in the coming weeks. The field currently produces about 75,000 barrels of heavy crude per day.

BW Offshore Signs Operation Contract with Statoil
Type: Status Update

Jun. 2012 - BW Offshore has signed a five-year contract with Statoil for the operation of the Peregrino FPSO, with options for an additional 15 years. The unit is operating at the Peregrino oil field offshore Brazil and BW Offshore will take over operations after a transition period of six months. The Peregrino field is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) off the Rio de Janeiro coast in a water depth of 394 feet (120 meters). Statoil operates the field holding a 60% interest; Sinochem holds the remaining 40%.

Statoil Completes Peregrino South Sidetracks
Type: Development Activity

Jun. 2011 - Statoil completed side tracks on the Peregrino South well, immediately adjacent to the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. The Blackford Dolphin semisub drilled both wells. Statoil estimates that the recoverable volumes in Pregrino South are between 150 to 300 million boe. The company is nearing completion of phase two of development in the Peregrino field. The Peregrino field is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) off the Rio de Janeiro coast in a water depth of 394 feet (120 meters). Statoil operates the field holding a 60% interest; Sinochem holds the remaining 40%.

Statoil Finds Additional Oil South of Peregrino Field
Type: New Discovery

Apr. 2011 - Statoil has made a discovery near the producing Peregrino field in the Campos Basin offshore Brazil. An exploration well drilled in the Peregrino South structure, a few kilometers south of Peregrino, has encountered oil in sandstones of the Carapegus geological formation. The well found an oil column of 427 feet (130 meters) and additional work will be conducted to confirm the volume. Drilling is continuing in order to penetrate deeper reservoir units and to explore the additional upside potential below the main reservoir unit. Once the Peregrino South well is completed by the Blackford Dolphin semisub, Statoil will drill an additional appraisal well in the Peregrino South structure to conclude the size of the new discovery. The Peregrino field is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) off the Rio de Janeiro coast in a water depth of 394 feet (120 meters). Statoil operates the field holding a 60% interest; Sinochem holds the remaining 40%.

Peregrino Comes Online Offshore Brazil
Type: Production Start

Apr. 2011 - Statoil has commenced production from the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. Production will gradually ramp up to a plateau of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. The first phase of Peregrino's development includes two drilling and wellhead platforms and a large FPSO. A total of 37 wells are planned, all of them using horizontal well technology to maximize recovery, said Statoil. Peregrino is estimated to contain 300 to 600 recoverable million barrels of oil equivalents, with a significant yet-to-find potential. Currently, an exploration well is being drilled at Peregrino South to explore the potential of this area. Once this well is completed, an additional well will be drilled in the area. Peregrino is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin in about 328 feet (100 meters) of water in licenses BMC-7 and BMC-47. Statoil operates the field holding a 60% interest; Sinochem holds the remaining 40%.

Maersk Peregrino FPSO Nearing Completion
Type: Facility Construction

Jul. 2010 - Keppel Shipyard is nearing completion of converting a VLCC into an FPSO for Statoil's Peregrino field. The Maersk Peregrino FPSO, with a storage capacity of 1.6 million barrels of oil, was converted to handle heavy crude oil of the Peregrino field, and be able to process up to 100,000 bopd. The conversion work involved the marine conversion of a very large crude carrier; installing and integrating topside modules; assembling, installing, and integrating the APL internal turret; fabricating and installing the flare tower, process pipe rack, and helideck; and upgrading the accommodation quarters. The vessel is scheduled to depart Keppel Shipyard in the third quarter of 2010, and is expected to commence production in early 2011. Peregrino is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin, situated in 328 feet (100 meters) of water. The field is located on the BM-C-7 block, which is operated by Statoil, holding a 60% interest; Sinochem Group holds the remaining 40%.

Statoil, Sinochem Sign MoU to Foster Cooperation, Experience
Type: Operator Update

Jun. 2010 - Sinochem Group and Statoil signed a Memorandum of Understanding that will foster cooperation and experience between the companies. The MoU follows a recent transaction in which Sinochem bought a 40% interest in the Peregrino oil field that is set to commence production in early 2011. The MoU underlines the wish of the companies to jointly investigate further opportunities in Brazil and elsewhere.

Sinochem Joins Statoil in Peregrino Field
Type: Status Update

May. 2010 - Statoil will sell 40% of its stake in the Peregrino field to state-owned Sinochem Group for $3.07 billion. Statoil will maintain a 60% operating interest of the field, which is slated to commence production in early 2011. The transaction is subject to government approvals in Brazil and China. The Peregrino field is located on the BM-C-7 block offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin area in 328 feet (100 meters) of water.

CNOOC, Sinochem Bid for Statoil's Stakes in Peregrino Field
Type: Status Update

May. 2010 - Dow Jones reported that CNOOC and Sinochem have submitted separate bids for stakes in the Peregrino offshore oil field in Brazil, in which Statoil ASA is selling a 40% share. Bidding has been closed and the winning bid should be announced soon. It is not known if the Chinese companies are competing for the full stake being offered or if they are each bidding for parts of it. Statoil holds 100% of the shallow-water Peregrino oil field, located in the BM-C-7 block in the Campos Basin. Currently, Peregrino is being developed, which is estimated to hold about 500 million barrels of heavy oil. The field is expected to come online in 2011.

Statoil Completes Heavy Offshore Lifting of Peregrino Platforms
Type: Subsea Equipment

Mar. 2010 - Statoil completed heavy offshore lifting of two wellhead platforms, A and B, on the Peregrino field. The two platforms will now be hooked up and will enter the completion phase, allowing for production drilling later this year. A total of 30 horizontal production wells will be drilled, together with seven water injection wells. Additionally, the Peregrino FPSO, which is being built by Keppel for Maersk in Signapore, is scheduled to arrive on the field for hook up and commissioning some time this year. Peregrino is located on Block BM-C-7 in 328 feet (100 meters) of water offshore Brazil. Statoil wholly owns and operates the field.

Peregrino FPSO Prepares For Tow Out
Type: Subsea Equipment

Dec. 2009 - The Peregrino FPSO submerged turret production buoy was lowered overboard in preparation for tow out, announced First Subsea. The STP buoy will be moored in 328 feet (100 meters) of water, 53 miles (85 kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Peregrino field, which is located on the BM-C-7 Block and is wholly owned and operated by Statoil. It is projected that in July 2010, the FPSO will embark from Singapore and arrive in Brazil for hook-up and commission on the field. Peregrino is expected to commence production in the fourth quarter of 2010.

StatoilHydro Sets Sights on First Oil at Peregrino in 2011
Type: Status Update

Oct. 2009 - StatoilHydro said it plans to start drilling at its heavy oil field Peregrino, located offshore Brazil, in the first half of 2010 and expects first oil early in 2011. Plateau production of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent a day from the field will be reached within a year, company spokeswoman Mari Dotterud told Dow Jones Newswires. Peregrino is located 53 miles (85 kilometers) offshore in the Southern Campos Basin. The first phase of the project includes two drilling and wellhead platforms, which will be tied-back to a floating production, storage and off take unit. Recoverable reserves from the field are estimated between 300 to 600 million barrels of oil.

StatoilHydro Taps Wood Group for Peregrino Wellhead Services
Type: Contract Award

Sep. 2009 - Wood Group Brasil was selected by StatoilHydro to provide operations, maintenance and modification services for the two Peregrino wellhead platforms. The five-year contract is valued at approximately US $60 million. Wood Group Brasil's project scope includes both offshore services and onshore support, and covers all production processes and equipment except drilling services. The project will be managed by Wood Group Brasil's existing management team, and more than 50 local workers will be hired for operations, maintenance, engineering and other positions. Fifty-three miles (Eighty-five kilometers) offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin area lies the Peregrino field, situated in 328 feet (100 meters) of water.

Aker Solutions Secures Peregrino Mooring Gig
Type: Contract Award

Jul. 2009 - Aker Solutions signed a contract with Maersk FPSOs to perform the mooring installation work at the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. The scope of work comprises planning and installation of an APL submerged turret production buoy with a mooring system. The STP buoy will be moored in approximately 328 feet (100 meters) of water using 10 mooring lines, heavy chains and wires. Mooring components will be delivered by Maersk FPSOs. The operation is scheduled to be conducted during Q4 2009.

FMC to Supply Surface Wellheads, Production Trees for Peregrino Project
Type: Contract Award

Jun. 2009 - FMC received a contract from StatoilHydro for the manufacture and installation of surface wellheads and surface production trees for the Peregrino project. Located in approximately 400 feet (120 meters) of water offshore Brazil in the Campos Basin, Peregrino is a heavy oil field development that will be completed in three phases and include approximately 60 wells. Today's announcement supports phase one of the project and includes 30 production wells and seven injection wells. Deliveries are expected to commence in the first quarter of 2010.

Peregrino South
Appraisal Drilling - Oct 2012 to -

Discovery (Drilled) - Apr 2011 to Oct 2012

Peregrino FPSO
Producing - Apr 11, 2011 to -

Under Construction - Mar 28, 2008 to Apr 10, 2011

J.Ray McDermott received a letter of award for the engineering, procurement and construction of 6,500 metric tons of topside modules for the Peregrino FPSO vessel.

Peregrino
Producing - Under Dev. - Apr 11, 2011 to -

Statoil has commenced production from the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. Production will gradually ramp up to a plateau of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Under Development - 2008 to Apr 2011

Peregrino Wellhead Platform A
Producing - Apr 11, 2011 to -

Statoil has commenced production from the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. Production will gradually ramp up to a plateau of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Peregrino Wellhead Platform B
Producing - Apr 11, 2011 to -

Statoil has commenced production from the Peregrino field offshore Brazil. Production will gradually ramp up to a plateau of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Peregrino Wellhead Platform A
Under Construction - Apr 02, 2007 to Apr 10, 2011

A contract was awarded to Kiewit Offshore Services Ltd. for the supply of two drilling platforms for the Peregrino field.

Peregrino Wellhead Platform B
Under Construction - Apr 02, 2007 to Apr 10, 2011

A contract was awarded to Kiewit Offshore Services Ltd. for the supply of two drilling platforms for the Peregrino field.

Update History
The SubseaIQ Team works everyday to provide you with the latest information on the offshore field development market. The following table provides you with a detailed record of each addition and update made to this project by the SubseaIQ team.
UPDATE TYPE DATE DAYS AGO
Field Updated Nov 15, 2012 766
Activity Added Nov 15, 2012 766
Field Added Oct 24, 2012 788
Field Status Added Oct 24, 2012 788
Activity Added Oct 24, 2012 788
Activity Added Aug 16, 2012 857
Field Updated Aug 16, 2012 857
Activity Added Jul 17, 2012 887
Field Updated Jul 17, 2012 887
Facility Updated Jul 17, 2012 887
Field Updated Jun 12, 2012 922
Facility Updated Jun 12, 2012 922
Activity Added Jun 12, 2012 922
Project Description Updated Dec 16, 2011 1101
Field Updated Jun 22, 2011 1278
Activity Added Jun 20, 2011 1280
Activity Added Apr 14, 2011 1347
Activity Added Apr 11, 2011 1350
Field Updated Apr 11, 2011 1350
Field Status Added Apr 11, 2011 1350
Facility Status Updated Apr 11, 2011 1350
Facility Status Added Apr 11, 2011 1350
Project Description Updated Apr 11, 2011 1350
Project Description Updated Dec 12, 2010 1470
Project Description Updated Jul 06, 2010 1629
Activity Added Jul 06, 2010 1629
Field Updated Jul 06, 2010 1629
Field Updated Jun 11, 2010 1654
Activity Added Jun 11, 2010 1654
Activity Added May 21, 2010 1675
Field Updated May 21, 2010 1675
Project Description Updated May 21, 2010 1675
Facility Updated May 21, 2010 1675
Field Updated May 13, 2010 1683
Activity Added May 12, 2010 1684
Field Updated Mar 24, 2010 1733
Facility Updated Mar 24, 2010 1733
Project Description Updated Mar 24, 2010 1733
Activity Added Mar 24, 2010 1733
Field Updated Dec 03, 2009 1844
Activity Added Dec 03, 2009 1844
Field Updated Oct 21, 2009 1887
Activity Added Oct 21, 2009 1887
Activity Added Sep 22, 2009 1916
Field Updated Sep 22, 2009 1916
Project Description Updated Jul 27, 2009 1973
Field Updated Jul 08, 2009 1992
Activity Added Jul 08, 2009 1992
Project Description Added Jun 10, 2009 2020
Facility Added Jun 10, 2009 2020
Facility Status Added Jun 10, 2009 2020
Field Status Added Jun 04, 2009 2026
Field Added Jun 04, 2009 2026
Activity Added Jun 03, 2009 2027

    Project Update History Search - View all the lastest updates made by the SubseaIQ team.
 
Project Map
Project Image
Previous Image Next Image
 
 
 
Facility Name Peregrino FPSO
Duty Oil/Gas
Operator Statoil
Current Status Producing since 2011
Host Type FPSO
Water Depth 120 m / 396 ft
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Brazil
 
Location BM-C-7
Facility Name Peregrino Wellhead Platform A
Duty Oil/Gas
Operator Statoil
Current Status Producing since 2011
Host Type Fixed Platform
Water Depth 120 m / 396 ft
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Brazil
 
Location BM-C-7
Facility Name Peregrino Wellhead Platform B
Duty Oil/Gas
Operator Statoil
Current Status Producing since 2011
Host Type Fixed Platform
Water Depth 120 m / 396 ft
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Brazil
 
Location BM-C-7
 
Field Name Peregrino
Discovery Date
Block BM-C-7
Reserve Type Oil
Current Status Producing - Under Dev.
Production Start
Water Depth 120 m / 396 ft
Field Name Peregrino South
Discovery Date Apr 2011
Block BMC-7, BMC-47
Reserve Type Oil
Current Status Appraisal Drilling
Production Start
Water Depth 100 m / 330 ft