Offshore Field Development Projects
Erha
Operator:Esso
Water Depth:1,200 m / 3,960 ft
Region:Africa - West
Country:Nigeria
Last Updated:Sep 5, 2013    (view update history)
Project Description
The Erha and Erha North project is located in 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) of water roughly 60 miles (97 kilometers) offshore Nigeria. Serving as the operator of the project, ExxonMobil holds a 56.25% interest, and Shell holds the remaining 43.75%.

Erha was discovered in February 1999 by the Erha-1 well, followed by appraisal drilling on the Erha-2 well. Two years later, the drilling and completing of an additional appraisal well, Erha-3, further defined the field. Shortly after, the operator submitted development plans for government approval and began development drilling on the field.

After the start of Erha's development drilling, a subsequent oil discovery was made in March 2004 with the well Erha-7 and the Erha-7 sidetrack well. ...
The Erha and Erha North project is located in 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) of water roughly 60 miles (97 kilometers) offshore Nigeria. Serving as the operator of the project, ExxonMobil holds a 56.25% interest, and Shell holds the remaining 43.75%.

Erha was discovered in February 1999 by the Erha-1 well, followed by appraisal drilling on the Erha-2 well. Two years later, the drilling and completing of an additional appraisal well, Erha-3, further defined the field. Shortly after, the operator submitted development plans for government approval and began development drilling on the field.

After the start of Erha's development drilling, a subsequent oil discovery was made in March 2004 with the well Erha-7 and the Erha-7 sidetrack well.

Field Development

For a total investment of $3.5 billion, the original field development plan consisted of 24 wells clustered in two drill centers, managed with a two-rig development-drilling program and ongoing production operations. The wells are connected to an FPSO through flowlines and steel catenary risers, and processed crude oil is stored in the FPSO, and then offloaded to nearby tankers.

The drill centers, Drill Center East (DCE) and Drill Center West (DCW), are situated roughly .9 miles (1.5 kilometers) from the FPSO. All gas-injection wells are over the gas cap from DCE, and water-injection wells are from DCW. Injection wells at each drill center are routed through a manifold connected to the FPSO with a single insulated flowline and riser.

The original development plan was updated to incorporate a third drill center, Drill Center North (DCN), to include the additional oil discoveries that were made. Initial development of Erha North included eight subsea wells with production wells tied-back to the FPSO through a subsea tie-in at DCE and water injection wells tied-back through DCW.

The finalized development plan of Erha and Erha North consists of 32 subsea wells tied to an FPSO, one of the largest in the world. Control umbilicals connect the FPSO to each drill center and provide the electric power and signals, fluids, injection capabilities and other services for the wells and manifolds.

The new-build Erha FPSO is 935 feet (285 meters) long, 207 feet (63 meters) wide, with a 2.2 million barrel capacity hull and capacity for 210,000 bpd oil processing, 340 MMcf/d, and 150,000 bpd water injection. All processing equipment is above the main deck and the topside facilities consist of two trains of three-stage oil separation. Associated gas is compressed and dehydrated to provide fuel gas, with the remainder injected into the reservoir for pressure maintenance to enhance oil production.

Oil is transferred from the FPSO to tankers through a loading buoy. The export system consists of two 22-inch oil offloading lines connecting the FPSO to a spread-moored CALM offloading buoy system, anchored roughly 1.1 miles (1.8 kilometers) from the FPSO.

Production

Production from the joint development commenced on March 28, 2006 and produces at a rate of 190,000 bopd; associated gas produces at a rate of 300 MMcf/d, which is re-injected for reservoir maintenance.

Activities
Status Updates
Aveon Awarded Erha North Construction Contract
Type: Development Activity

Sep. 2013 - Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Limited (EEPNL) awarded a contract to Nigerian-owned Aveon Offshore Limited for the fabrication of major subsea system components for the Erha North Phase 2 Project. Aveon’s duties under the contract include the fabrication and load-out of 5 manifolds and modules with associated suction piles, various subsea tree frame elements and control system foundations. Fabrication will take place at Aveon’s Rumuolumeni yard near Port Harcourt. Load-out of the equipment will take place between August and October 2014.

Cameron to Support Erha North Phase 2
Type: Contract Award

Feb. 2013 - Cameron signed an agreement with ExxonMobil affilitate EEPNL for the supply of subsea production systems to the Erha North Phase 2 development off Nigeria. Scope of supply includes five subsea production trees, two water injection trees and three manifolds along with topside controls and associated equipment. Material deliveries are scheduled to begin in 2014.

Sea Trucks and Subsea 7 Win Erha North Development Work
Type: Contract Award

Feb. 2013 - Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Ltd issued a contract to Nigerian subsidiaries of Subsea 7 and Sea Trucks for the development of the Erha North field. The field is located off Nigeria in waters up to 3,940 feet deep. Subsea 7's work scope includes engineering, procurement, fabrication and installation of 15 miles of flowlines, 9 miles of umbilicals and seventeen rigid jumpers. The work scope also includes modifications to the Ehra FPSO needed to incorporate the new subsea facilities. Engineering will commence immediately with installation to take place early 2015. Sea Trucks will be responsible for the installation of certain manifolds, provision of a DP3 accommodation vessel and the supply of several ancillary support vessels.

Erha North
Producing - Under Dev. - Feb 2013 to -

Erha FPSO
Producing - Mar 28, 2006 to -

Production from the joint development commenced on March 28, 2006 and produces at a rate of 190,000 bopd; associated gas produces at a rate of 300 MMcf/d, which is re-injected for reservoir maintenance.

Erha North
Producing - Mar 28, 2006 to Feb 2013

Production from the joint development commenced on March 28, 2006 and produces at a rate of 190,000 bopd; associated gas produces at a rate of 300 MMcf/d, which is re-injected for reservoir maintenance.

Erha
Producing - Mar 28, 2006 to -

Production from the joint development commenced on March 28, 2006 and produces at a rate of 190,000 bopd; associated gas produces at a rate of 300 MMcf/d, which is re-injected for reservoir maintenance.

Discovery (Drilled) - Feb 1999 to Feb 2000

Ehra was discovered in February 1999 by the Erha-1 well, followed by appraisal drilling on the Erha-2 well.

Update History
The SubseaIQ Team works everyday to provide you with the latest information on the offshore field development market. The following table provides you with a detailed record of each addition and update made to this project by the SubseaIQ team.
UPDATE TYPE DATE DAYS AGO
Field Updated Sep 05, 2013 327
Activity Added Sep 05, 2013 327
Field Updated Feb 22, 2013 522
Activity Added Feb 22, 2013 522
Field Updated Feb 08, 2013 536
Activity Added Feb 08, 2013 536
Field Status Updated Feb 08, 2013 536
Field Status Added Feb 08, 2013 536
Project Description Updated Dec 02, 2010 1335
Project Description Updated Mar 30, 2010 1582
Field Status Updated Feb 24, 2010 1616
Facility Added Feb 24, 2010 1616
Facility Status Added Feb 24, 2010 1616
Field Added Feb 24, 2010 1616
Field Status Added Feb 24, 2010 1616
Project Description Added Feb 24, 2010 1616
Facility Updated Feb 24, 2010 1616

    Project Update History Search - View all the lastest updates made by the SubseaIQ team.
 
Project Image
Previous Image Next Image
 
 
 
Facility Name Erha FPSO
Duty Oil
Operator Esso
Current Status Producing since 2006
Host Type FPSO
Water Depth 1,200 m / 3,960 ft
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Nigeria
 
Location
 
Field Name Erha
Discovery Date Feb 1999
Block
Reserve Type Oil
Current Status Producing
Production Start Mar 2006
Water Depth 1,200 m / 3,960 ft
Field Name Erha North
Discovery Date
Block
Reserve Type Oil
Current Status Producing - Under Dev.
Production Start Mar 2006
Water Depth 1,200 m / 3,960 ft