Offshore Field Development Projects
Papa Terra Papa
Operator:Petrobras
Water Depth:1,200 m / 3,960 ft
Region:S. America - Brazil
Country:Brazil
Last Updated:Apr 11, 2014    (view update history)
Project Description
Situated 68 miles (110 kilometers) from the coast of Rio de Janeiro is the Papa Terra oil field (well 4-BRSA-2180-RJS), located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

With potential recoverable oil volumes ranging between 700 million and 1 billion barrels of oil equivalent, Papa Terra is a crude oil with an API index between 14 and 17 degrees. Discovered in 2003 by five wells, the field is among the most complex subsea developments ever executed in Brazil. The extreme water depth, the high viscosity and the low API were major factors when the operator was considering how to develop the field. Since ...
Situated 68 miles (110 kilometers) from the coast of Rio de Janeiro is the Papa Terra oil field (well 4-BRSA-2180-RJS), located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

With potential recoverable oil volumes ranging between 700 million and 1 billion barrels of oil equivalent, Papa Terra is a crude oil with an API index between 14 and 17 degrees. Discovered in 2003 by five wells, the field is among the most complex subsea developments ever executed in Brazil. The extreme water depth, the high viscosity and the low API were major factors when the operator was considering how to develop the field. Since its discovery, the field laid dormant for two years because of the major factors listed above.

As the operator decided how to best develop the heavy oil field, contracts were submitted for the field's development. In January 2009, the Papa Terra consortium nixed the first set of tenders for the construction of the two production platforms due to unfavorable market conditions. Since the cancellation, the operator reevaluated the project on how to best develop the field at a lower cost.

At an estimated cost of $5.2 billion, the Papa Terra project is expected to recover 380 million barrels of oil.

Field Development

In 2005, Papa Terra was deemed commercially viable with development plans calling for a tension leg well platform, P-61, connecting to an FPSO, P-63, to be placed on the field. In total, 29 large bore wells, far from the FPSO and spread over a wide area will produce from the field, with heavier oil production wells leading to the platform, and lighter oil production wells tied into the FPSO. Of this, 13 wells will be dry completion producers, interconnected to the TLWP; and 16 will be wet completion, interconnected to the FPSO, of which six are horizontal producers and 10 are water injectors.

In September 2009, offshore and marine unit Keppel FELS and its joint venture partner, J. Ray McDermott submitted a bid to construct an oil platform for the Papa Terra field. The JV partners formed a separate company, FloaTEC, and submitted an offer to build the P-61 oil platform at an estimated value of $1.1 billion. The scope of work includes J. Ray fabricating the tendons, temporary buoyancy modules and piles, and providing topsides engineering and procurement services; Keppel constructing the TLWP; and FloaTec supplying the risers, well systems and tendon components. J. Ray will then install the TLWP on the Papa Terra field using its Derrick Barge 50 deepwater construction vessel. The project is slated for completion by mid-2013.

On October 8, 2009, it was announced that BW Offshore and the Brazilian Industrial group, Quip, received a contract to construct an FPSO for the field. The P-63 FPSO will have the capacity to process 140,000 bopd and 35 MMcf/d (1 MMcm/d) and will be moored in 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) of water. The vessel will be equipped with a tankage system capable of storing 1.4 MMbbl of oil and the outflow will be via shuttle tanker.

Papa Terra is expected to commence production in 2013.
Activities
Status Updates
FloaTEC Installs P-61 TLP at Petrobras-Operated Papa Terra Field
Type: Development Activity

Apr. 2014 - Petrobras' newly constructed P-61 tension leg platform (TLP) has been installed on location at the Papa Terra field in block BC-20 off the coast of Brazil. FloaTEC, a joint venture between McDermott and Keppel FELS, was awarded the engineering, construction and installation contract in February 2010. Construction of the topsides, piles and tendons was also carried out at the Keppel yard in Singapore and the hull was fabricated at the BrasFELS yard in Brazil. Once commissioned, the P-61 will be the first instance of floating dry tree technology being used off Brazil as well as the first TLP installed off South America. Petrobras and Chevron form the Papa Terra joint venture with 62.5% and 37.5% interest respectively.

Petrobras Prepares to Install New Production Facilities
Type: Development Activity

Dec. 2013 - A pair of production facilities are being towed to their respective locations at the Petrobras-operated Parque das Baleias and Papa Terra fields off the coast of Brazil. The P-58 FPSO is a converted super tanker that will be installed in 4,600 feet of water at Parque das Baleias. Once on location, the vessel will handle well stream from 15 production wells. Oil will be processed and transferred to shuttle tankers and produced natural gas will be sent via subsea pipeline to the Cacimbas Gas Treatment Unit in Linhares, Espirito Santo. The P-61 tension leg wellhead platform (TLWP) will be the first of its type to operate in Brazilian waters. It will be installed at the Papa Terra field to increase production capacity. A recently completed tender assist drilling unit, the SS-88 TAD, will be used in conjunction with the TLWP to drill and complete 13 production wells. Produced fluids will be routed to the P-63 FPSO which began oil production last month.

P-63 FPSO Begins Oil Production at Papa Terra Field
Type: Production Start

Nov. 2013 - Chevron announced the start of oil production at the Papa Terra field in the Santos Basin offshore Brazil. Petrobras operates the field with a 62.5% interest and Chevron holds the remaining 37.5%. Installation of the P-63 floating, production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel took place in September 2013 and hook-up activities commenced immediately after. Additionally, the P-61 platform, Brazil's first tension leg platform (TLP), is expected to be installed in the field and begin production in 2014. Papa Terra facilities were designed with a production capacity of 140,000 barrels per day.

Papa Terra FPSO Nearing First Production
Type: Development Activity

Aug. 2013 - After a long journey from the Cosco Shipyard in China and a short stay in Macae the Petrobras-owned P-63 floating, production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel is being towed to its final location in the Papa Terra field off the coast of Brazil. Once moored on location and connected to the wells, the 1,115-foot long converted oil tanker will be capable of producing oil at a rate of 140,000 barrels per day and gas at a rate of 35 MMcfd. Additionally, the FPSO has a water injection capacity of 340,000 barrels per day. The P-63 is scheduled to begin production at the end of October 2013.

Papa Terra FPSO Nears Completion
Type: Operator Update

Jan. 2013 - Construction of the Petrobras P-63 FPSO is nearing completion at Cosco's shipyard in Dalian, China. Wärtsilä supplied three power modules consisting of two 18-cylinder 50DF dual-fuel engines per module. These engines provide the P-63 with the flexibility to run off of treated well gas or crude as well as marine grade diesel. This flexibility will serve to lower daily operating costs associated with fuel. Final commissioning of the engines will take place later this year once the vessel is installed on location in the Papa Terra field off Brazil.

Keppel O&M Delivers P-61 TLWP
Type: Facility Construction

Dec. 2012 - Keppel Offshore & Marine (Keppel O&M) confirmed late Wednesday that it delivered the topsides module of the P-61 Tension Leg Wellhead Platform (TLWP) to its subsidiary, BrasFELS shipyard in Angra Dos Reis in Brazil. The unit was completed on schedule and with a perfect safety record. Work scope of the project includes Keppel FELS and BrasFELS constructing the TLWP, FloaTEC supplying the risers, well systems and tendon components and McDermott fabricating the tendons, temporary buoyancy modules and piles and providing topsides engineering and procurement services. When completed, P-61 will be the first TLWP in Brazil, and it will be deployed to the Papa Terra field in the Southern section of the Campos Basin in Block BC20. Petrobras is the operator of the field with a 62.5 percent interest, while Chevron holds the remaining 37.5 interest.

InterMoor to Fabricate, Install Conductors for Papa Terra Project
Type: Subsea Equipment

May. 2011 - InterMoor received a contract for the installation of the drilling and production conductors for the Papa-Terra project offshore Brazil. InterMoor is responsible for the design, procurement, fabrication and installation of 15 conductors for the project that is situated in 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) of water. The conductors are scheduled for installation in the fourth quarter of 2011. Papa Terra is located on the BC-20 block in the Campos Basin. Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

Technip to Supply IPB, Monitoring Module for Papa Terra
Type: Contract Award

Oct. 2010 - Technip was awarded a contract for the supply of Integrated Production Bundles (IPB) for the Papa Terra field. The contract includes the engineering, procurement, manufacturing and supply of 17 miles (27 kilometers) of IPB risers and flowlines, and an electrical and monitoring module to be installed on the P-63 FPSO. The company's technological solution will be used in the heavy oil field to increase the temperature of the produced fluid after long shutdowns in order to reduce its viscosity, thus enabling well production restart, stated the press release. Delivery of the modules and the IPBs are scheduled for the first and last quarter of 2012, respectively. Papa Terra is located on the BC-20 block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

Dril-Quip to Supply Wellhead Systems for Papa Terra Field
Type: Contract Award

Oct. 2010 - Dril-Quip received a US $28 million contract from Petrobras for the supply of subsea wellhead systems for the Papa Terra oil field. Equipment deliveries are scheduled to begin during the first quarter of 2011 and will continue through the first quarter of 2013. The Papa Terra oil field (well 4-BRSA-2180-RJS) is located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

Construction of a TLWP for Papa Terra to Commence at Year-End
Type: Status Update

Sep. 2010 - Construction of a platform for the Papa Terra field should commence by the end of this year. The field will house the first offshore tension-leg wellhead platform in Brazil, P-61, which will connect to an FPSO, P-63. Papa Terra is expected to commence production in 2013. The Papa Terra oil field (well 4-BRSA-2180-RJS) is located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

Veolia Water to Provide Water Treatment Package for P63 FPSO
Type: Contract Award

Aug. 2010 - Veolia Water won a water treatment package for the Petrobras Papa Terra P63 project in the Campos Basin. QUIP SA awarded the design-build contract to Veolia Water to manage the supply integration of the FPSO unit. The water treatment package will treat seawater, compromising pretreatment and seawater sulfate removal systems to remove sulfates and other ions from injected water to enhance oil recovery. Delivery is scheduled for 2012. The Papa Terra oil field is located on the BC-20 block in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters). Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

Engineering for P-63 FPSO Topsides to be Provided by AMEC
Type: Contract Award

Feb. 2010 - AMEC will perform basic engineering services for the topsides of the P-63 FPSO, which is slated to operate on the Papa Terra heavy oil field. The engineering contract begins immediately and runs until mid-2010, with engineering to be managed at AMEC's Houston offices and fabrication/integration to be handled by QUIP's facility in Brazil. Sixteen topside modules with a total weight of more than 14,000 metric tons will be included on the P-63 FPSO and are comprised of three oil-processing modules, one gas compression module, three electrical power generation modules, two water treating and injection modules, one electrical building module, three utility modules, one flare system module and two manifold modules. The topside facilities are designed to process roughly 140 Mbopd of crude oil, 35 MMcm/d of gas, 325 Mbpd of produced water, and the FPSO will also have the capability to inject roughly 340 Mbpd of seawater. Papa Terra is situated 68 miles (110 kilometers) from the coast of Rio de Janeiro on the BC-20 Block in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) field. Petrobras serves as the operator of the giant oil field and holds a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

BW Offshore to Deliver Marine Scope of P-63 FPSO Conversion
Type: Contract Award

Feb. 2010 - BW Offshore received a contract to deliver the marine scope of the P-63 FPSO conversion, including the hull, offloading systems and mooring equipment for the vessel. BW Offshore and partner QGOG will jointly operate the P-63 FPSO for three years, and then the consortium will transfer operatorship to Petrobras. Located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) is the Papa Terra field, where the P-63 is to deploy. Petrobras serves as the operator, holding a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

J. Ray Wins Contract for Papa Terra Project
Type: Contract Award

Feb. 2010 - A project for the P-61 Tension Leg Wellhead Platform was awarded to J. Ray McDermott by the Papa Terra Joint Venture. J. Ray's scope is part of a larger project, compromising design, engineering, construction, transportation, installation, and a three-year limited operations contract, that was awarded to FloaTec - a joint venture between Keppel and J. Ray. The scope of work includes J. Ray fabricating the tendons, temporary buoyancy modules and piles, and providing topsides engineering and procurement services; Keppel constructing the TLWP; and FloaTec supplying the risers, well systems and tendon components. J. Ray will then install the TLWP on the Papa Terra field using its Derrick Barge 50 deepwater construction vessel. The project is slated for completion by mid-2013.

Chevron to Proceed with Papa Terra Project, First Oil in 2013
Type: Status Update

Jan. 2010 - The development of the Petrobras-operated Papa Terra project, which represents Chevron's second deepwater development offshore Brazil, will proceed at an estimated cost of $5.2 billion. Papa Terra will feature Brazil's first tension leg well platform, which will be connected to the P-63 FPSO. P-63 will produce up to 140,000 barrels of crude oil per day starting in 2013, and the project is estimated to recover 380MMbbl. Located on the BC-20 Block in the Campos Basin in a water depth of 3,937 feet (1,200 meters) is the Papa-Terra field. Petrobras serves as the operator, holding a 62.5% interest; Chevron holds the remaining 37.5% interest.

FloaTEC Inks LOI with Petrobras for P-61 Platform
Type: Status Update

Oct. 2009 - Keppel confirmed that FloaTEC, a joint venture between offshore and marine unit Keppel FELS and J. Ray McDermott, signed a letter of intent with Petrobras and Chevron for a $1.1 billion oil platform in Brazil, Dow Jones reports. According to Keppel, FloaTEC's letter of intent contract for the P-61 oil platform "is expected to be signed at a later date," but that such signing didn't mean that FloaTEC has received the contract for building the rig, the report noted. Rather, the letter of intent is an expression of interest to work with FloaTEC on Petrobras' P-61 project, the state-run oil giant's first Tension Leg Platform (TLP) installed at the Papa-Terra oil field, located offshore Brazil.

BW Offshore Signs LOI for Papa Terra FPSO
Type: Status Update

Oct. 2009 - The Papa Terra Joint Venture, consisting of Petrobras (operator) and Chevron, has concluded the contracting and negotiation process with the consortium of BW Offshore and the Brazilian industrial group QUIP for the FPSO P-63 for the Papa Terra field, located offshore Brazil. A Letter of Intent was signed on Oct. 7, 2009, while sanction of the project will occur at a later date.

FloaTec Submits Bid for $1.1B Petrobras Platform Tender
Type: Facility Construction

Sep. 2009 - Offshore and Marine unit Keppel FELS and its joint venture partner J. Ray McDermott submitted a bid to construct an oil platform for Petrobras' Papa Terra project, located offshore Brazil, reports Dow Jones Newswires. The JV partners formed a separate company, FloaTEC, to secure the Brazilian oil giant's P-61 oil platform contract, the estimated value of which is $1.1 billion.

Petrobras Relaunches Tenders for Papa-Terra Platforms
Type: Status Update

Aug. 2009 - In January 2009, Petrobras canceled tenders for the construction of the P-61 and P-63 production platforms, for the Papa-Terra project, located on Block BC-20 offshore Brazil. Petrobras and consortium partner Chevron considered the bidding prices too high given the current market conditions. The consortium drew plans to develop the Papa-Terra heavy oilfield in the Campos Basin using a Tension Leg Wellhead Platform (TLWP) and an FPSO, handling up to 180,000 bopd, with production expected to start in 2013. Since the cancellation, Petrobras reevaluated the project on how to reduce costs in order to build the platforms. While Petrobras has yet to confirm this information, industry sources have indicated that Petrobras launched a new round of tenders with the bidding process rumored to close at the end of August 2009.

P-63 FPSO
Producing - Nov 2013 to -

Under Construction - Feb 2010 to Nov 2013

Prospect - May 2009 to Jan 2010

Platforms are being ordered for Papa Terra says Chevron.

P-61 TLP
Under Construction - Feb 01, 2010 to -

Prospect - 2006 to Jan 2010

Papa Terra
Producing - Nov 2013 to -

Under Development - 2006 to Nov 2013

Discovery (Appraised) - Dec 28, 2005 to Dec 2005

Petrobras has notified the National Petroleum Agency (ANP) of the commercial potential of the Papa-Terra field, located in the Campos Basin offshore Brazil.

Discovery (Drilled) - 2003 to 2003

Papa-Terra was discovered in 2003 by five wells

Update History
The SubseaIQ Team works everyday to provide you with the latest information on the offshore field development market. The following table provides you with a detailed record of each addition and update made to this project by the SubseaIQ team.
UPDATE TYPE DATE DAYS AGO
Facility Updated Apr 11, 2014 193
Activity Added Apr 11, 2014 193
Facility Updated Dec 06, 2013 319
Activity Added Dec 06, 2013 319
Field Updated Nov 14, 2013 341
Field Status Updated Nov 14, 2013 341
Field Status Added Nov 14, 2013 341
Facility Updated Nov 14, 2013 341
Facility Status Updated Nov 14, 2013 341
Facility Status Added Nov 14, 2013 341
Activity Added Nov 14, 2013 341
Facility Updated Aug 27, 2013 420
Activity Added Aug 27, 2013 420
Field Updated Aug 27, 2013 420
Facility Updated Jan 10, 2013 649
Activity Added Jan 10, 2013 649
Field Updated Jan 10, 2013 649
Facility Updated Dec 13, 2012 677
Activity Added Dec 13, 2012 677
Project Description Updated Jul 01, 2011 1208
Activity Added May 31, 2011 1239
Field Updated May 31, 2011 1239
Field Updated Oct 21, 2010 1461
Activity Added Oct 21, 2010 1461
Activity Added Oct 19, 2010 1463
Field Updated Oct 19, 2010 1463
Field Updated Sep 14, 2010 1498
Project Description Updated Sep 14, 2010 1498
Activity Added Sep 14, 2010 1498
Activity Added Aug 02, 2010 1541
Field Updated Aug 02, 2010 1541
Project Description Updated May 05, 2010 1630
Project Description Updated Feb 04, 2010 1720
Project Description Updated Feb 03, 2010 1721
Facility Status Updated Feb 03, 2010 1721
Facility Status Added Feb 03, 2010 1721
Activity Added Feb 01, 2010 1723
Facility Updated Feb 01, 2010 1723
Project Description Updated Feb 01, 2010 1723
Field Updated Feb 01, 2010 1723
Project Description Updated Jan 28, 2010 1727
Activity Added Jan 27, 2010 1728
Project Description Updated Jan 27, 2010 1728
Project Description Updated Jan 22, 2010 1733
Field Updated Jan 22, 2010 1733
Facility Updated Jan 19, 2010 1736
Project Description Updated Jan 14, 2010 1741
Field Status Added Oct 14, 2009 1833
Field Status Updated Oct 14, 2009 1833
Project Description Added Oct 14, 2009 1833
Field Updated Oct 12, 2009 1835
Activity Added Oct 09, 2009 1838
Activity Added Oct 08, 2009 1839
Activity Added Sep 03, 2009 1874
Facility Status Updated Aug 19, 2009 1889
Activity Added Aug 18, 2009 1890
Facility Added Aug 18, 2009 1890
Facility Status Added Aug 18, 2009 1890
Facility Status Updated Aug 18, 2009 1890
Field Added May 05, 2009 1995
Facility Added May 05, 2009 1995
Facility Status Added May 05, 2009 1995
Field Status Added May 05, 2009 1995

    Project Update History Search - View all the lastest updates made by the SubseaIQ team.
 
Project Map
Project Image
Previous Image Next Image
 
 
 
Facility Name P-61 TLP
Duty Oil/Gas
Operator Petrobras (NOC)
Current Status Under Construction since 2010
Host Type Mini-TLP
Water Depth 1,200 m / 3,960 ft
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Brazil
 
Location BC-20
Facility Name P-63 FPSO
Duty Oil/Gas
Operator Petrobras (NOC)
Current Status Producing since 2013
Host Type FPSO
Water Depth n/a
Dev.Cost n/a
 
Region Brazil
 
Location BC-20
 
Field Name Papa Terra
Discovery Date Jan 2003
Block BC-20
Reserve Type Oil/Gas
Current Status Producing
Production Start Nov 2013
Water Depth 1,200 m / 3,960 ft